Monday, July 11, 2005

HI!

So...this is my blog...for now, I won't be commenting on any pertnent political issues...I'll leave that to the pros.

What I will do, however, is let you all in on the weird obsession I have had over the past couple of years that has started taxing every iota of space in our home, yet sends me back to when I got into mountain biking in the first place...in 1987.

The collection started with this, an NOS 1991 Nishiki Alien ACX frame and fork which is in a constant state of evolution, in search of the perfect build. It is a 0-miler so far, and I intend to keep it as a trailer queen for as long as possible...

alienprof

The drivetrain is mostly 1991 XT with Scott SE cantis, Syncros bar and post, Answer Hyperlite bar, Tioga Revolver crank...most is NOS with the exception of the rims, tires and post...Here's a shot of the bar-area

alienft

The fork will soon be replaced with either a completely rebuilt and refurbished Scott Unishox, or full-polished Mag 20. I'm thinking the Unishox will be more period-correct. I also have a black Turbo seat slated for installation this week.

aliendt

The second bike I added to my permanent collection was my 1995 Bontrager Race Lite, which I currently ride as my daily rider. Not an entirely sexy spec, but it rides like a daemon and climbs like a mountain goat on crack.

rlprof

I have a red fork that rotates depending on the seat-leakage situation, and so it doesn't always look lik a bag of M&M's.

rlft
rldrtr

And then, there's my dream bike since the first magazine I ever bought in April, '87. The Raleigh Edge. A bike that revolutionized how I saw mountain bikes...Behold. All original...even the cables and housing...
edgeprof
OK, maybe not the grips, pedals, rear brakes or rear tire...but you get the idea...but seriously, the cables and housing are original...
edgeft
edgedt

And then the 2005 bikes that this John Olsen revolution spurred...
evedge
bhedge

And the latest and possibly greatest addition to the collection in my 1985 Ritchey Ascent...with 1987 XT grouppo...The frame MAY have one chip on it...this bike is cherry. I'm afraid to do anything to it...Original drivetrain and Bullmoose bars are forthcoming, but may not actually make it onto the bike. It just looks too good this way! Check it out.
ritcprof
ritcheyclsd
ritdt
ritft

I'll gladly add requested detail shots, spec lists, updates and other ongoing projects as they come up...

Richard

4 Comments:

Blogger Klay said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice BLOG, Richard! I like the Edge's front tire! And what's wrong with M&M's, anyway? They helped make me what I am today.

John O

8:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice collection Richard. BTW what would have been the original spec. drivetrain on the Ascent? It does look good as is but you really should put those bullmoose bars on. (Ritchey bars,in black, right?)

7:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a IBIS mountain trials that also came with the horizontal dropouts at the rear and it came with a straight blade fork! bought the frame and fork new from ibis way back. It came in a gray color with strange graphics on it. I ALSO bought a Raliegh Edge new which looked identical to your. It came with trials block pattern tires and a derailleur guard. That salmon pink was far out. I put road slicks on it and rode the the Tiajuana to Rosarito 50 miler on it at one point. Both were awesome in the woods but the ibis had shorter stays and less weight and suntour grease guard everything so i kept it and sold the edge. Thanks for brining back the memories. Crawford - emailitch@yahoo.com

9:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home